Vote For Me: Midterm Elections 2018

Photo by Mirah Curzer on Unsplash
I am seventeen years old. I haven't voted in any elections just yet, except for a mock 2008 presidential election in my 2nd grade class. That year I voted for John McCain because that was who my dad was voting for and I secretly wanted to be favored. Barack Obama surprisingly won the school election, which was strange for my Midwestern, small town, predominantly white elementary school.

Then, my seven year old self didn't really care about politics. I was too busy singing Taylor Swift on the playground. Too busy making mud pies when it rained. And, I mean, that's how it should be. Politics were always an adult thing to me. I never heard of teenagers getting revved up or emotional because Barack Obama was elected a second term. Then again, just ten years ago, everything was different. Politics weren't force-fed to us. We weren't drowning in what Trump just tweeted and what harmful executive order was going into effect next.

But now, here we are.

I am seventeen years old. I haven't voted in any elections yet, and there is a fairly important one happening very soon. If you ask me, midterms are more important than presidential elections. 35 seats of our 100 Senate seats are up for grabs. the 435 Representative spots are also up for election. Do you know what these numbers mean?

For Democrats to take control of the House of Representatives, a total of 23 seats would needed to be gained. To have the majority in the Senate, just two seats would be needed. And this doesn't seem too difficult, that is, until you look at our numbers.

The House. The Senate. The President. We are swimming in a sea of red. This would be fine and just, if it wasn't the most conservative, crazy, right-leaning Republicans with the majority. So, I'm telling you to vote.

Actually, I'm begging you. Please go vote. The executive branch is so so important, and we are lucky enough to now have the right to vote those in that we believe should represent us, our country, and our ideals. It wasn't always that way. The Senate was a millionaire boys' club, with officials elected via state legislatures. We now have and hold this power, and I think we so often take it for granted.

When you go vote, think of me. Think of your children, your grandchildren, your friend's children. It's their future that you're voting for, their future you're electing. You are holding the clay and it starts with you. Vote for me. Please vote for me. When you vote, think of the Senators and Representatives that I will have to look up to. Think of everything that could affect me, my future, and my rights. And then vote. Vote for me.

XOXO

No comments